Thoughts & Confessions of a Daddy's Girl

Thoughts & Confessions of a Daddy's Girl

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Crouching Sin

Genesis 4:6,7- Then the Lord said to Cain, "Why are you angry?  Why is your face downcast?  If you do what is right, will you not be accepted?  But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; its desire is to have you, but you must master it."  I have been meditating on these verses and the events that led Cain to the deadly jealousy within that made him commit the world's first murder and take the life out of his brother.  These instructions and guidance are given directly from God to Cain before he commits the crime, God tells him he must master it.  And I think about my life and how sin crouches with food, selfishness, lack of control, perfectionism, and people pleasing and I continously think "I must master this, I must master this, I must master this...."  And yes there are moments of mastering certain crouching sins, but there are those, like Cain, that I choose to allow them to have me...namely food or negative thinking or lack of trust in God himself...uhhhh I hate even typing that, I love God!  But that is the truth... the truth that I have not mastered sin, I cannot perfectly master sin.....but wait there is another verse that address this very subject as well.  Romans 6:14 "For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace." This verse clearly states the hope that we have living after the death and reserrction of Jesus Christ,we do not live as Cain did.  Yes, we are the same fallen creatures who have chosen sin over God.  But God knew even in Cain's time that sin must be mastered and it was not going to happen in the human man.  And so he made a way.  He sent Jesus who fullfilled the law perfectly and mastered the sin that crouched around him.  But not only did he do this as an example for us and bring his Heavely Father glory but also to master sin for all mankind and give a way to live that is above the law.  Salvation.  If we have chosen Jesus Christ to be the sin master who lives within us we are freed from the law, not that the laws aren't good to follow but ultimately placing our trust in the graciousness of Jesus and walking with him will be walking right.  So I can in this moment and the moments when I feel, hear, and see sin crouching know that sin is not my master because I am under grace.

2 comments:

  1. NICE! that is fantastic. whaaahoooo girl! that is just what i needed to hear. you dug down to the disbelief, and lack of trust and God's word brought you back up. that is so excellent i can't even stand it. and from my writing this morning about fear, i really needed a reminder that it applies to fear too. i fear that if i let go of bingeing that there won't be anything left to relieve me. that is fear. but i have chosen Jesus and i am walking right so as i feel sin (fear?) crouching i can "seek him and he will deliver me". i can "taste and see that the Lord is good" and i will be "blessed when i take refuge in him". thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so i still wonder what part sin takes in all this. am i sinning when i do harm to my body with food? it may not seem like a big deal today when i eat a little extra, or eat when i'm not hungry, but that's exactly what got me in this size 16 mess. what do you think?

    ReplyDelete